Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Grace Note

This is what I saw on my walk this morning.  We're an hour from the East Coast, and this time of year the fog blows off the ocean in the mornings creating fast moving clouds and a good breeze.  You can feel Fall in the air.  

I first felt it in July.  There's an almost imperceptible change in the air.  It's a lightness in the pressing humidity that is usually present in this part of the country at this time of the year.  That's accompanied by a gentle, but definite breeze.  The light also changes.  I don't know what causes it, but it's softer.

It always makes me excited the first time I feel Fall in the air.  It's my favorite season.  I love the food, the weather, the clothes, the holidays, the everything.

I've loved this summer.  I'm not ready for it to end yet, but by September I'll probably be going through my clothes and pulling out the sweaters (even though I won't be able to wear them for another month or more).  Old habits die hard, I guess.

In Tennessee, where I grew up, you could start wearing sweaters in September.  So that's when I get mine out.  In Georgia we play this game of wearing a sweater in the morning until about 10:00, taking it off until late evening, then putting it back on; maybe.  Most of the time in early Fall I only wear a sweater on principle.  It's what I did growing up, and by golly, I'll do it now!  I sweat a lot too!  It's the same game in early Spring.  Oh well, it gives me something to do!

5 comments:

Jessica said...

That's a beautiful picture. Fall is my favorite time of year!

debbie bailey said...

Thanks, Jessica!

Barbara said...

Hi! Debbie
Nice to meet you. No, i did not know about the American author b ut many of the NT properties do have lets these days.
I wonder what you found oppresive about Haworth or maybe just a spirit thing you felt. It is many years since I was there.
Enjoyed your blog.
I have not visited Georgia except for Atlanta airport but I have visited the South a number of times. Mississippi, Louisiana and also your home staate of Tennessee and Kentucky and many other states on the East Coast from Boston to the Carolinas.
First in 1960 when at sea with my husband and then lots in the 80's and 90's through friends, contacts and ministry.
Your header photos looked very similar to the bridge in Kensignton Gardens London.

Barbara said...

Meant to say earlier, I understand entirely the Autumn feel. I can sense the air as soon as it chanages. A different smell, a different feel, a different sound.Very mellow and calm, so different to the arrival of spring. Amazing.

Nana Trish is Living the Dream said...

This is my first visit to your blog and I'll be back. I love the picture. I am in Atlanta during the week and SC on the weekends so I will continue to read your posts and try to figure what part of GA you are in. I love fall also. I grew in in Indiana so I was used to definite seasons. Fall and winter are the best to me!