Wednesday, August 10, 2016

My Teaching Days Have Ended



After thirty-one years of being involved in the education of our five children, either homeschooling or  formal, I'm done.  I never thought this day would come.  Not that I've been yearning for it that whole time.  I've only been ready to give it up the last six years or so.  And now it's here.

And to top that off, our youngest will be moving out in less than two weeks.  When it rains it pours.  As with most major parenting events, it's bittersweet.  I'm really ready for this new season, yet it finds me feeling anxious, lonely, uneasy, and kind of rudderless.   I'm a little ill-tempered and disgruntled and am having a hard time focusing.  I've been broadsided by all these unexpected feelings.  I'm asking myself, if I really am okay with not teaching and having no children living at home anymore, why am I feeling this way?

I know this is normal when cycling from one lifestage to another, I just didn't expect it this time.  I thought I'd be shouting Glory!  I AM glad, but I guess when you do something for so long, it's hard to give it up even when you don't want to be doing it.  Proof again that we're creatures of habit.

I have lots of plans for traveling and doing projects around the house.  I hope to take a painting class this fall.  I want to reconnect with my friends and have tea parties and sewing get-togethers.  And I'm especially looking forward to spending uninterrupted time with my husband.  We've waited a long time for this!




13 comments:

Pom Pom said...

Yay! Give yourself great grace and watch and listen. I'm happy for you!

Rootietoot said...

Change does that! I've still got a year, but oy. You're a smart woman, you'll figure it out. Have fun with it!

Unknown said...

Almost from the moment SJ was born, u recognized that this journey would be bittersweet. Because she's our only, the celebratory firsts are happening simultaneously with the lasts! I daresay, as you are looking g forward to this new stage, there is still a bit of culture shock to be gone through as a result. Hope to join you in a tea party, sewing party and paint in!

M.K. said...

You said it, right there -- when we've done something for so long, it's hard to give it up even when we don't want to be doing it. Yes! It sounds perverse, but there it is! And mothering (esp. homeschool mothering) is SO MUCH that way. You're doing great. Above all the other fun activities and creative things you can devote yourself too, one that you mentioned is, I think, most helpful in adjusting: hospitality. And it's a huge weakness of mine. But I do think using your home in a new and wonderful way, bringing people in, helps a lot.

Gumbo Lily said...

The new season in life will be good. I wasn't sure what would transpire after our 5th child left and homeschooling was over, but it's been a wonderful change and gift. Pom Pom gives you the best advice. Blessings on your new adventures!

debbie bailey said...

Thank you all for your uplifting advice and encouragement. I need that right now!

Thistle Cove Farm said...

and now to re-invent yourself. you're tucked inside of prayer.

debbie bailey said...

Most definitely!

debbie bailey said...

You're so right! I have trouble with consistent hospitality, too.

debbie bailey said...

Thanks so much! I am looking forward to it at the same time my heart is in my throat. She moves out today. I'm staying super busy packing up her things and cleaning her room. I'm going to totally redo it. Pink walls just aren't my thing!

debbie bailey said...

Thanks, Sandra. Yes to reinvention!

Jacey Nix's Ponders and Peotry said...

Debbie Bailey I found a painting from 1981 .... it’s a cotton field painting.... I would love to know if it is yours! 318 382 2571.... kristy _art@yahoo.com kristy Nix

Anonymous said...

I was really searching for such a nice post and got here...Thanks for sharing such a nice information, its beneficial for me...Keep sharing more scireviewworld