Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Imagine

Yesterday at our homeschool group sign language class, the teacher/mom had the group of twenty or so children standing in a wide arc.  She was teaching them how to sign to the song Imagine.  

Now I've heard that song sung before, and while it has always made me think about what heaven will be like, I really was moved by the words and the  music as I watched all those sweet children communicate without words.

Caed, my oldest grandson, had his back to me. His little skinny legs with the white socks, one higher than the other, were sticking out of his oversized carge shorts.  He looked so sweet and vulnerable standing there making big arm circles over his head for the word 'imagine'.  I got all choked up thinking that I might not be spending forever with him in heaven.  I know I'll be going there when I die, but I don't know his heart.  Will he embrace the faith so carefully passed down or will he go his own way; the way that leads to spiritual death?

All I know is that I need to pray so much more for all my family and live the kind of life that causes them to ask me about the joy that lives in me; and invite them to share in God's forever which begins right now on this earth.

3 comments:

charlotte carroll said...

that song is not based biblical concept of heaven. In fact, I believe he says...Imagine there is no heaven..no hell...

I believe it is semi-based on Buddhist belief of nirvana. but it also carries with it a post modern belief that whatever you do has no consequences in the afterlife.

Laurel Greum said...

I know it's been a long time since this blog and previous comment were posted, but I wanted to clarify something since I know Debbie and the homeschool group personally.

Charlotte Carroll, you have mistaken the song to which Debbie was referring. The song the children were learning to sign was "I Can Only Imagine" by MercyMe. Definitely NOT "Imagine" by John Lennon.

Barbara said...

That's definitely an important distinction to make - my mind went straight to Lennon's song too, so naturally I too was a little confused.

As regards "I Can Only Imagine" - get the kleenex before you watch this - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxWDiHQ5ZJ0