Tuesday, November 3, 2009

The Early Morning

I agree with Thomas Merton about early morning time. He says, "It is necessary for me to see the first point of light that begins to be dawn. It is necessary to be present alone at the resurrection of the Day in solemn silence at which the sun appears, for at this moment all the affairs of cities, of governments, of war departments, are seen to be the bickering of mice. I receive from the Eastern woods, the tall oaks, the one word DAY. It is never the same. It is always in a totally new language."

Can you tell I'm a morning person? I try to get up somewhere between 5:15 and 5:45. It's a lot easier now that we're back on EST. I heard Darcie's light click on this morning about 6:15; forty-five delicious minutes of lying in bed to read before she has to get up at 7:00. I guess she's a morning person too.

1 comment:

Jeannette said...

Wonderful Merton quote, thanks so much for that. Is that a recent photograph of yours? Such a wonderful setting. I took a moon over the Pacific Ocean early morning shot Nov 2 and posted it on my blog... you might enjoy seeing the same moon in a different location. I surely enjoyed yours. Good morning to you.