Saturday, October 18, 2008

Williamsburg, here we come!

In six days, good Lord willing and the creek don't rise, we head to Williamsburg.  We can't wait!  Laurel has been wanting to plan the trip this week, but I've been holding her off until next.  I still have lesson plans to complete this week.  

She's going to be cooking our suppers, and I'll be taking care of breakfasts.  Lunch will pretty much take care of itself since we'll be in and out.  I do want to eat sometime in a tavern for an authentic colonial meal.

I also hope to make it over to Monticello and Charlottesville.  A few miles west of there is a recreated Irish settlement.  I want to take the children there to show them how their ancestors lived.  I know the little ones won't remember it but the two older ones will.  Darcie and Caed are at the ages where they soak in information like a dry sponge.  I love watching them learn and discover. 

I've been to Monticello twice before but could go there many more times without getting tired of it.  Jefferson was such a brilliant man.  His home and gardens really reflect his personality.  I love that his home was so important to him that he left his marks all over it.  There are things he invented and designed everywhere.  That reminds me; I need to get some books about him for Darcie to read so she'll know what she's seeing!

Field trips are the best way to teach, in my humble opinion.  I know you can't go everywhere you read about.  That's when I bring in the movies and books to make it more real to them.  I love sharing and learning with my family.  God's world is so fabulous and history so interesting that we'll never fully learn it all.  But we're going to try!

1 comment:

Nanette said...

Oh that sounds like a wonderful trip and a good time of year to go. How long will you get to stay?