Monday, September 1, 2008

The Never-ending Summer (I wish)

I don't know what my problem is.  Usually I can't wait for Fall to get here.  Summer is my least favorite season.  But for some reason this year, I don't want summer to end.  I love lying around reading Janet Evanovich novels.  They're hilarious!  I like having my mind clear of schedules, busyness, grading papers, getting Darcie to her activities, etc.  I think that's part of it.   I've hauled around chilluns' for twenty seven years now, and I'm tired.  I want to learn to paint and such; things that take concentration and chunks of time.  

But I have a ten-year-old; at least I will tomorrow.  I have to do for her what I did for the other ones.  I can't in good conscience put her in school.  So I'm going to have to buck up and suck it up.  SO.................

How to get myself in the mood for Fall?  Finish the J. Evanovich book I'm reading and don't read her again until the next holiday.  Put away all my summer clothes and get out my fall ones.  I NEVER, repeat NEVER, wear white after Labor Day.  My Mama raised me right!  Make myself go through Darcie's school books and start planning.  Cook pumpkin bread, apple bread, and soups.  Any other ideas?

3 comments:

Melissa said...

I think this is my favorite pictures of yours!

I don't start getting excited about fall until the day comes when I walk out first thing in the morning and realize I can turn off the a/c and open the windows.

Anonymous said...

Debbie, I always enjoy your photos! I'm like you. I love fall, but I'm not quite ready for summer to end (though I can feel the transition happening inside me). :-)

It helps that we are freezing at night and that things around are looking like more like fall every day. Daytime temperatures are milder. I even saw some geese flying south a while back.

We cook those things you do, too. We add chocolate chips to the pumpkin bread or muffins. :-)

I'm glad your daughter is home and doing better. I prayed for your family (including Laurel and husband).

Susan :-)

Laura A said...

Hi Debbie,

I feel like you do, and after nine years of homeschooling, I think there may be a reason for it. I think the best kind of learning occurs when we're in this 'leisurely' frame of mind. Of course, with a 9yo, there are certain things you'll want to teach, but I'm going to try as much as possible this year to keep things extra simple, and I don't think it's bad that you're feeling a similar urge.

Also, just in case you needed an "excuse," surgery and a hemoglobin count of 9 (I have hereditary anemia, so I am very familiar with these numbers) are not nothing! We too have had those times when we just needed to recover, even after most kids would have gone back to school if they were going to a building every day. Hard to judge, isn't it?