Saturday, January 21, 2012

Counting Books


I had a fun two days this week rearranging ALL our books, culling out some, and counting them.

I didn't intend to do this. I had walked to the big bookcase in the library looking for a particular book and noticed that the shelves were looking messy and that a lot of books weren't in their proper categories making finding them difficult.

When you have as many books as we have, you have to categorize them or you'll never find anything! I arranged them by the Dewey Decimal System several years ago.

"And how many books do you have?" you might ask. I'll tell you; 2,506! I figured that if I read one a week, in 48 years I'll have read them all. I'll be 104 by then. Fortunately, lots of them are children's books and ones I've already read. Whew! I'll only be 98 by the time I finish the rest.



8 comments:

Connie (aka LOU) said...

Debbie - Love your sweet kitty with obviously not a care in the world. Hope you didn't disturb him/her. Organizing your books was a very good deed done. I'm with you...have to stay organized to for easy finds otherwise too much wasted time.

Pom Pom said...

That kitty cat is irresistibly cute!
Yes, books, books, books. Some day they may be a real rarity. For now, I'm keeping mine close!

Sara at Come Away With Me said...

Sounds like a perfect way to spend a day or two, or three, or even a week!

libbyquilter said...

love your header~!!~

i think the kitty is tired out from counting books~!

here's to a very long life of reading good books.

:-)
libbyQ

Nan said...

What a satisfying and really fun job! I love looking through my books, as I'm sure you do. I have never counted, though I've begun listing them on LibraryThing, just so I'll have a list. I bet I have more than I think I do. I don't want to think about how few years I have left to read them all. :<) May all book lovers live long, long reading lives.

Vintage Reading said...

I love organizing and re-arranging my books. If I had to leave the house in an emergency I think I'd rescue the 6 Jane Austen novels first - after family and cat, of course!

The Time Voyager said...

Your cat is soooo adorable! What breed??

debbie bailey said...

She's a Calico with long hair; definitely a mixed breed. I usually love her hair except now when she's shedding her winter coat. There are furballs all over the house! Thanks for visiting my blog.