Thursday, September 22, 2011

Two of My Favorite Women

My mama is coming down today from Tennessee to see her new great-granddaughters. She'll be bringing fresh okra and tomatoes from her garden. She's also bringing the tomatoes she canned for Laurel and me.

Mama is a giver. I think that's her primary love language. She's not prone to giving hugs; just one when I first see her and one when I leave. But she gives in a big way of her time and energy.

When I was growing up, she made ALL of my clothes and cooked ALL of our meals from scratch plus held down a full-time job. She taught me to sew, to play piano, to clean house and cook, to garden, and many, many other life skills. She was the one who led me to Jesus in the field out behind Grandpa's barn.

The two photos of her below are in her kitchen cooking a full breakfast for us. She's an amazing woman. I love her so much that it hurts.

And here is a photo of my oldest baby with her two new baby daughters. She's also an amazing woman. Mother of six children under eight, good friend to her many girlfriends, a great listener, a contemplative, a striver of perfection, a domestic goddess, an excellent wife, and my best friend.

I'm very blessed by the women in my life and thank God that we have such close relationships. Of course Darcie, my youngest daughter, is included in this list. I just didn't write about her today because I'm always gushing about her here.




5 comments:

Jeannette said...

...beautiful hands have worked hard....

Mary said...

women to be treasured!

you are blessed!

Leslie said...

What a great post. Love those sweet babies. You are blessed.

Vintage Reading said...

Aw, as a mother of twin girls (now 15)I can assert that there is nothing quite like holding two babies!

Gumbo Lily said...

YOU are blessed among women.