Sunday, September 4, 2011

Goodbye to the Pears

We had a fun morning picking the last of the pears. The deer have helped themselves to the ones on the lower branches, so in order to get the high ones, I drove my pickup truck under the tree, stood on the top, and picked pears.

I put Darcie up high with a broom and had her gently knock them down. Since Tyler is 6'3", I had him on top of the truck picking and dropping them down to me on the ground.

I've made a pear crisp for breakfast two different mornings. Last night for supper we had stewed pears. They're almost like eating candy they're so sweet.

I've frozen some and canned some. The pears are gone. So is my guilt about putting them up before they rot. Some did rot, but I put up a lot of them which is better than I usually do!

4 comments:

Jeannette said...

Your photo, framing the pears between the brick entrance and the wooden stairs with the white railed boundary behind speaks of changes and seasons and transitions in a lovely way.

Leslie said...

Beautiful pears! I bet they were yummy.

Bellezza said...

I love pears. I even love the word pears. There's something so wonderful about them; I can just imagine all the yummy ways that you're cooking them! My mother makes a fabulous pear and ginger 'coffee cake' although that's a terrible word for the delicious taste treat that it is, and we both enjoy pear and ginger tea. Still, I could just reach in and help myself straight from the bowl itself...

Pom Pom said...

Just the other day I was eating a pear and appreciating their unique and WONDERFUL flavor. Pears are beautiful in every way. I can just see you standing on the pick up! Pear cobbler sounds divine.