Saturday, July 18, 2009

Homemade Granola

I tried a granola recipe I found on allrecipes.com. I tweaked it in a few places. You've got to be careful not to overcook granola; makes it taste bitter for some reason.

Here's the recipe including my changes:

8 cups rolled oats
2 cups any kind of nuts on hand-I used almonds, pecans, and walnuts
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup maple syrup
3/4 cup honey
1 cup olive oil
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups raisins, currants, and dried cranberries

Preheat oven to 325. Line two large cookie sheets with aluminum foil.

Combine the oats and nuts in a large bowl. Stir together the salt, brown sugar, maple syrup, honey, oil, cinnamon, and vanilla in a saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat, then pour over the dry ingredients, and stir to coat. Spread evenly over baking sheets.

Bake until crispy and toasted, about 20 minutes. Don't let it get too dark. Stir once halfway through. Store in airtight containers.

Our whole family LOVES this!

1 comment:

laurel said...

I use a different recipe but my kids love homemade granola as well, especially sprinkled on top of fruit and yogurt for a breakfast parfait. I like it sprinkled on top of blueberries myself ;)