Thursday, February 5, 2009

Choices

"The world is too much with us.  Getting and spending, we lay waste our power" said William Wordsworth over 200 years ago.

I guess this has always been a problem in the world; trying to find the balance between solitude and going forth into the world and acquiring and spending versus being frugal.

For me, I've found my balance to be getting enough solitude so that I have something to give back when I'm with people and staying out of stores and town unless I need something.  The internet is a problem for me.  That's where I do 90% of my shopping.

I'm having an internal battle right now over whether to order a cardigan sweater that's been greatly reduced that I REALLY don't need but would love to have.  On the other hand, I'm trying not to wear anything that I don't love, which means that I've cleaned out my closet to the point that that's all that's left.  That's a lot of thats.

So the dilemma is:  Do I get rid of something I love to get another thing I'd love, or do I forget about it?  I love wearing cardigans during the winter, and this one is long and has pockets.  Perfect!  I think I'll order it and get rid of something else.  I just talked myself into it!  

I see what Wordsworth means when he says, "We lay waste our power."  I've used up way too much mental energy and actual time thinking about whether to buy it or not.  I should determine in my mind that I have enough clothes and when a catalog comes into the house, immediately put it in the recycling bucket.  Then I won't waste time looking at clothes I don't need to buy.

I find this very hard.  I'm like the cow that always sees that the grass on the other side of the fence is greener.  I think, "I might find something in this catalog that I REALLY love more than any of my other clothes and that will look fabulous on me and really suit my personality."

I'm going to have to take it to God in prayer.  I don't have the self-control necessary to stop buying things I truly don't need.  He'll fix me up and take away my sinful desires.  He always does.

P.S. Click on the photo and see if you can find the woman in the window.  She was a server in a Williamsburg tavern.  I was outside the window looking in when I took it.   If I've already said this previously, forgive me for not remembering.  I'm too lazy to scroll through all my old posts to see!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

These are such good thoughts and questions.

Tara said...

Choices...choices...choices. Prayer IS the best solution. Cool picture!

Katy said...

I am so with you in this!