Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Henry Miller on Light

The writer Henry Miller, who made his home in Big Sur, California, had this to say about light: "There are two magic hours of the day which I have only really come to know and wait for, bathe in, I might say, since living here. One is dawn, the other sunset. In both we have what I like to think of as 'the true light': the one cold, the other warm, but both creating an ambiance of super-reality, or the reality behind reality....Everything is brush and cones, umbrellas of light-the leaves, bought, stalks, trunks standing out separate and defined, as if etched by the Creator himself."

Since so many of my photographs are taken at these two magical times, I most assuredly agree with him. I love the warm nature of the slanted sunlight. It makes everything delineated and magical; sharper and softer at the same time.




4 comments:

Leslie said...

I like that quote and love your photos. We have had some stunning sunsets here lately with vivid pinks and oranges.

Melissa E said...

Hi Debbie! Thanks for stopping by my blog! I am so jealous of your skills! I look forward to reading more of your blog!

Left-Handed Housewife said...

Such beautiful photographs, Debbie!

I think you'll enjoy the Folk Photography book (and I, too, love the notion of folk photography; it just rings my bells). The essay in the beginning is fascinating.

frances

Rowan said...

That last photo is stunning,like you I love both sunrise and sunset and never tire of seeing both the real thing and photographs.