Tuesday, November 11, 2008

I CAN Go Home Again

This is the view from my parents' front yard looking down the road toward my grandparents' farm.  I grew up across the road from their house which is the last building on the left.  The barn is the red-roofed building. 

I spent my childhood running through these pastures and climbing these trees.  We moved up on the hill when I was a freshman in high school.  

When I think of coming home, this is what I see in my mind.  This is the barn in which I spent so many hours reading curled up in the hay.  I also attempted to spend the night in it when I was about ten.  I had a hard time convincing Mama to let me.  About midnight, Daddy climbed up the ladder and said I needed to come home.  Mama was afraid somebody would get me.  

I can't remember if I argued with him or not.  Knowing me, I probably did.  I wasn't scared, and I really wanted to stay. 

As we were walking home, in the northern sky we saw the most incredible display of colored lights.  That was the one and only time I've ever see the northern lights.  It's one of the best memories of my childhood made even better by sharing it with my daddy.

5 comments:

Laura A said...

A *very* nice scene to think of as home. Somehow long views of rolling hills (especially in late afternoon) say that to me, too.

And you saw the northern lights. Wow.

laurel said...

That is a really good memory. I don't think you have told me that one before. I sure do love Pee Paw. He is the sweetest man I have ever known.

Katy said...

You are so blessed to have such a father! Never underestimate the positive impact that has had on your life!

No wonder you love to go home! It's beautiful!

Anonymous said...

I really enjoy these kinds of memories, Debbie. You are so blessed! I loved the sleeping in the barn (almost) story.

Catching up on the other posts...

Your daughter is a pretty girl. I pray she will heal completely and that you'll have wisdom in helping her.

I love the look of your kitchen-- so casual and warm and welcoming. Is that a vintage stove you have there? It looks like it from teh little bit I can see.

Susan

Barbara said...

Looks idyllic.