Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Gift From the Sea-Revisited



We're taking a few days vaca at Jekyll Island, GA. I'm reading Gift From the Sea by Anne Morrow Lindbergh for the ninth time. It's a book that I never get tired of. If you've never read it, you must. It speaks to every stage of a woman's life.

As I was reading today, a sentence resonated with me. It said, "One falls under their (waves) spell, relaxes, stretches out prone. One becomes, in fact, like the element on which on lies, flattened by the sea; bare, open, empty as the beach, erased by today's tides of all yesterday's scribblings."

I want all my yesterday's scribblings to be erased. I'm up at 1:00 a.m. right now unable to sleep. I'm all out of sorts from all the travelling we've been doing for the past three months. The older I get, the less flexible I get about getting away from my usual routine. Or maybe it's just the back-to-back trips we've been making. Whatever it is, I'm topsy-turvy, and I don't like it.

So while we're here at the beach, I hope to lie flat and let the sun and surf do its good work.

3 comments:

Pom Pom said...

Oh, and I hope you do! I love the sea so very much. I was prompted to read more about AML a few years ago. She's fascinating.
I find that I need grace to transition when I am changing routines. It takes a little while, doesn't it?
I hope that nobody demands too many words from you, so you can soak up the Spirit's generous portion while you are away.

debbie bailey said...

Ah thanks, Karen! I need lots of grace!

M.K. said...

My mother loves her books, and I've never read one. I need to get this one, I can tell! The sea always has this soothing effect on me. It's not a light soothing, like a mother's whisper. It's a heavy, strong soothing, like a powerful hand on one's head, saying, "Relax." I've been rumbling around inside on these issues, now that we've moved and I'm clearly not "working," and I no longer have little ones. After a while, one's brain gets used to the frenzied spin, and it's hard to pull back into a pensive, quiet state. I'll put this book on my short "to buy" list :)