Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Hymn Singing

I've been trying to be more mindful during our church's worship services and really notice the words I'm saying and singing. Some things I've been practicing during this Lenten season are helping. I'll share more about those later.

We, as Protestants, have such a rich heritage in the hymns that have come down through the centuries. One that has meant a lot to me recently is Rise Up, Oh Men Of God.

The first verse says: "Rise up, oh men of God. Have done with lesser things. Give heart and soul and mind and strength, to serve the King of Kings."

I've been trying to 'have done with lesser things' and it's making a difference in my mental state which is affecting my outward demeanor. I'm not angsting anymore and am more joyful and calm.

I'm really enjoying this season leading up to Easter. I'll tell you tomorrow what I've been doing.



4 comments:

Barbara said...

Praise be to our God! There really is joy in His presence, isn't there? :)

Pom Pom said...

I love that hymn, too!
You sound good, friend.

Cranberry Morning said...

So many reasons to rejoice! I love that hymn too. Sometimes it's fun to just sit down with the hymnal and read those old hymns. I especially like the old Lutheran hymnal that reminds me of my wretchedness and God's amazing grace!

Leslie said...

Oh, I love paying attention to the words of hymns and often would rather sit and take notes while singing. Can't wait to hear what you are up to.