Thursday, October 24, 2013

Places Where Things Happened



"NO PLACE IS A PLACE UNLESS SOMETHING HAPPENED THERE...A PLACE YOU COME BACK TO TIME AND AGAIN AND STAY LONG ENOUGH TO LEARN FROM IT...A PLACE THAT EVENTUALLY FORCES NOSTALGIA ON YOU." WENDELL BERRY

I'm nostalgic about both of these places; one is where I spent the first eighteen years of my life, and the other is where we've raised our own five children and made a life for the last twenty-three years. The remaining sixteen years were spent in other houses and places, but these two hold the most meaning for me.

3 comments:

GretchenJoanna said...

"...forces nostalgia on you." hmmm...that doesn't sound so bad, does it? What a blessing that there is so much goodness in our memories, and not so many places where primarily painful things happened....though God can use those for our salvation, too. Does "nostalgia" have mostly a good connotation?
Thanks for the lovely photos, and the stimulating quote.

Left-Handed Housewife said...

Both houses are so beautiful!

Always happy to see a quote from my hero, WB.

xofrances

Gumbo Lily said...

These look like two very wonderful places to know. I'm just now reading Wendell Berry's Jayber Crow so I'm "getting" what he means by that quote.