Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Tennessee Neighbors

This fair lady is the neighbor of my parents in Tennessee. Last time I visited, she gave me a huge cabbage from her garden. When I got home, I sliced, blanched, and froze it. I'll make cabbage stew this winter.

I've taken photos of her barn in all seasons. I want to do a watercolor of it soon.

When I was a small girl, I'd visit her parents with my grandma. Two smells I associate with their house and yard; tobacco (one of both of them dipped) and boxwoods. They had these huge ones on either side of their walkway you'd have to pass through to get to their front door. Today when I smell a boxwood, it makes me swoon. I guess that's one of the reasons I love Williamsburg so much. There are hundreds of boxwoods there. I'm going to order two English boxwoods for containers. They are the ones that have the wonderful smell. I'm not so sure they'll flourish down here with our humidity, but I won't know unless I try.


4 comments:

M.K. said...

I love the smell of box too. They say people either love it or hate it. It reminds me of playing hide and seek in my uncle's box garden, as a little girl. They do fine in the South, I think. I've seen them many places here.

Left-Handed Housewife said...

Gorgeous photos, Debbie. I love the smell of Boxwoods, too. Takes me back to my childhood ...

xofrances

Gumbo Lily said...

Terrific barn. I'd love to see your painting.

for the love of a house said...

that is a beautiful head of cabbage! I love cabbage and I bet knowing what ground it had grown in made it even better!
love your teacup header photo!

happy week to you!
joan