Saturday, July 2, 2011

How to Age a Map

I promised to tell you how I aged the giant map in our parlor. I bought it at Books-a-Million for about $7. When I got it home, I took a very wet washcloth and went over the map several times, letting the water stand. I then sprinkled it with coffee grounds.

I let it dry and liked the way the paper crinkled and the coffee has made dark little 'age' spots, but it wasn't dark enough. So I brewed some tea bags in water and soaked the map with that, letting it stay on for a few minutes. I kept doing that until it was the aged color I wanted.

I took it to Hobby Lobby for framing telling them to just attach the map by the top. I didn't want the wrinkles to be pressed out. I thought it turned out quite old looking. Double click on it to see a closeup.

This could also be done with copies of photos or maps. Just experiment until you get the desired effect and have fun with it!

3 comments:

Leslie said...

I thought of your map today when I scored a 1848 copy of a framed Texas map at the thrift store. I will contemplate doing this. It looks really cool. Glad for the close up!

debbie bailey said...

You should do it! Show your results, too. I'd love to see.

Gumbo Lily said...

That's a great looking map.