Sunday, February 7, 2010

Review of The Shack


There's been much debate about the book The Shack. I found this review of the book by Dr. Tim Keller who is the senior pastor at Redeemer Presbyterian Church in Manhattan. http://rcpc.com/blog/view.jsp?Blog_param=114
I agree with him, even though I mostly liked the book. But there were parts that left me cold. Be sure and read all the comments that follow Pastor Keller's post. Youtube also has a review by Pastor Mark Driscoll. www.youtube.com/watch?v=pK65Jfny70Y

4 comments:

Pom Pom said...

I did like the imagery - the imaginative way the author communicated the Savior's great love for us. One friend at school, who doesn't express her pain much, really loved it. Another teacher said, "That's not believable." This first friend said, "But what if it IS true?" I feel sure the Lord's using it because of these conversations.

Jeannette said...

I was given that book and started it but felt very unwilling to sort the imaginative power from the theological assumptions and implications. I peeked at the middle and skipped to the end and kept trying to read enough that I could give an informed opinion to the person who gave it to me, but I couldn't wait to get it out of the house. It seemed like a cloying and dangerous misrepresentation of Biblical revelation. I appreciate the two links you have offered here.

Bonnie said...

Debbie,

Thanks for your comment about Abbotsford on my blog. AND now I see Tim Keller on your entry. Hmm.....
I haven't read The Shack but it is fiction and we have to remember that. I am glad to meet you and will come back. You will encourage me and inspire me, I can tell!

Bonnie

Bonnie said...

In your profile, you have 4 sons and 1 daughter who is 11. That is me: 4 sons and a daughter( 26, 23, 20, 17 and then Emma who is 12). Wow. We know the journey of that!